Wednesday 7 April 2010

When will the Tories leave those billboards alone?

Well, firstly I'd like to wish a Happy Belated Easter to everbody. I'd hoped to catch up with my sadly neglected blog over the weekend but found that as usual I had a truck load of Council work and case work to be doing, and I certainly can't neglect my duties in that respect.

I did travel through Crewe though at the weekend and found myself cringing at the latest Conservative posters I was bombarded with on the way into town. If I was Edward Timpson, I don't know whether I'd be glad of the support, or worried about why the party thinks it needs to defend its territory so desperately.

Anyway, the posters, which feature a picture of Gordon Brown smiling and saying things such as (don't quote me), 'I caused the highest ever youth unemployment...Vote for me.' I can't stand that kind of negative campaigning.

Perhaps I am being slightly hypocritical, since I am also having a go at the opposition, and have criticised the main parties since I declared I would stand.

The difference, I believe, is in the fact that I find those Tory posters incredibly patronising, and they try to pretend that a Conservative government would never have made mistakes in anything like the way Labour has. I mean come on, if history is anything to go by...

If you are going to begin an assault on the opposition, you need to have a leg to stand on. Fortunately, I do. My track record as a Councillor proves it. Yet despite all this, you won't find me trying to make a fool out of anyone by using cheap jokes, especially not the electorate.

No comments: