Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Bell Principles

Today I had already planned to talk about the Bell Principles - a set of principles first formulated by former Independent MP Martin Bell. However, it seems rather fitting that this latest scandal has broken today, following the Dispatches documentary on parliamentary lobbying last night. What a shame to see yet another disappointment for the British Public, but I am not surprised in the slightest.

Instead of go on about it though, I want to present a more positive view by letting you know about the behavioural guidelines (not policies) that I believe all Independent Candidates should adhere to. They include amongst other things, the Seven Principles of Public Life, which were mentioned on the programme last night. These principles are: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership. Read the rest of the Bell Principles here:
www.independentnetwork.org.uk/about-us/bell-principles

These are principles I not only promise to adhere to in the future, but have also kept to throughout my whole seven years as a councillor. I tire of the fact that so many politicians pay lip service to codes of conduct, yet in practice play only to their own rules. It undermines the use of codes and principles altogether, so I hope that the Bell Principles can be something fresh and positive that will carry genuine weight.

No comments: